The home buying process can be a really confusing and scary process. I remember the first time I bought a home in the early 1980s. I had no clue about the process.
Fortunately, I had a real estate agent who walked me through the process.
So, what is involved in the process.
- Figure out how much you can afford. THIS IS THE KEY ISSUE! You must know the financial obligation before you look at a single property.
- Know your rights. There are lots of rules and regulations covering fair housing, loan regulation and more. Don’t let someone take advantage of you.
- Shop for a loan. Choose several lenders and get he facts. Get a written quote (good faith estimate) on closing costs. Then ask the seller to assist with meeting the closing costs. Motivated sellers will!
- Choose a real estate agent. As a buyer you do not pay your agent - the seller does!
- Shop for a home. I identify your needs, review homes that meet your needs. Take notes.
- Make an offer. This is where your real estate agent can guide you. Use him!
- Get a home inspection. It does not cost a lot but i this is an invaluable necessity. And if there are issues, ask the seller for repairs!
- Shop for homeowners insurance. It is probably a good idea to get a quote on a property similar to your desired home before you find it. Eliminate surprises.
- Sign papers. Closing. A lot of emotions on this day! Then move in!
If you are a first time home buyer in the Rockledge and Viera area, please feel free to call on me. I can either answer your question or refer to a qualified professional.
Gary Waters, Century 21 Baytree Realty, Rockledge, Florida. I can be reached directly at 321-693-3850 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.