Over the course of 30 years or so I have learned that:
- You are the landlord…got to fix it yourself.
- All roofs eventually leak.
- Never buy a home in a new subdivision if you may sell before they finish building.
- You can not control who buys the house next door.
- Your interest in property taxes will increase.
- You will always need a garage on car stall size larger.
- If it was a previously owned home the previous owner’s taste was awful.
- Older neighbors die and young families with loud kids always move in.
- Everything works fine until the warranty expires.
- Everything works fine for about a month after you close on the house.
- The old adage buyers are liars and sellers too is true.
- If there is a homeowner association there will always be that one person who is the association “rat” reporting you because of “weeds” in your flower beds.
- Mortgage companies will call and see if you are OK if your payment is one day past due.
- Mortgage companies don’t really give a hoot about you – only your payment.
- Flat roofs are like flat top haircuts – rare for a good reason! Don’t buy a house with a flat roof
- If your mortgage lender will not talk with you anymore or changed professions they know.
There is more but I think it is much more exciting to experience it as a homeowner yourself, so if you are in Brevard County Florida and need a real estate agent, call me or send me an email.
Home ownership is great. It is like life…some good, some bad but never a dull moment!