- First, how badly do you want the particular property?
- Secondly, how much are you willing to pay?
- Can you move on if you do not get the property?
- Don't low ball an offer. If unrealistic there is the chance of alienating the seller and never negotiating.
- Don't offer list price. This is a buyer's market. Rarely will a house or condo be listed too low. [Sometimes if happens though so I will modify this parameter if needed.]
- Offer a price that will be reasonable, even if low, to stimulate negotiation process.
- Identify your upper price limit. This is a key decision that must be considered before you make an offer if you really want to get the house or condo.
- Finally, do not let your emotions become an obstruction to the negotiation process or your clear thinking!
Gary Waters, Florida licensed real estate agent, Century 21 Baytree Realty, Rockledge, Florida.