As a seller your real estate agent will almost always say "nice neighborhood" or even "established neighborhood" someplace in the narrative. Many times the agent will throw in excellent schools nearby as well!
The truth is not all neighborhoods are nice. Some are old and run down. Some are crime ridden. Some are on a property value downward spiral. Likewise, not all schools are excellent!
As a buyer you must take some initiative and do some research on your own.
- Call local law enforcement to check the statistics for the area.
- Consult the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Sexual Offender web site.
- Visit the schools personally before deciding on a house.
- Consult the Brevard County Public School website or a site like SchoolsMatter.
- Drive around the neighborhood after school (or during the weekend) to see what its like when folks are home.
- Get out and talk to neighbors. [I always encourage buyers to speak to neighbors...never know what they may say!]
- How many folks are walking their dogs, riding bikes, out with their children.
- What is the traffic like?
- How are the nearby houses maintained?
- How many houses are for sale or being foreclosed?
- What is the percentage of owner occupied homes?
- If there is a homeowner or condo association ask around about issues, effectiveness and organization.
Gary L. Waters PLLC, Florida licensed real estate agent, Century 21 Baytree Realty, Rockledge, Florida serving Florida's Space Coast including the cities and communities of Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge, Suntree, Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach and the surrounding region. Whether your interest lies in a 55+ community such as Heritage Isle, a golf course community such as Baytree National Golf Links or water front, give me a call!