This morning I read an article (Decoding Real Estate Descriptions) that offered some definitions for descriptive phrases used in real estate advertisements. Presented sort of tongue in cheek these should help the home buyer more easily interpret the advertising.
- "Handyman Special" or "waiting for your decorating touches" means that the place has been trashed.
- "Dollhouse" means that the home is tiny and the rooms are small. [Note: See "Cozy."]
- "Well maintained" means that there have been no updates of any type. The home may have been well cared for but the interior is very dated.
- "Move-in ready" may only mean fresh carpet and paint. The only way to find out is to go and look.
- "Cozy" means small - period.
Besides, one man's appealing may be another man's appalling!