However, this real estate agent will not do anything to violate the Fair Housing Act - Don't ask!
The Fair Housing Act prohibits any different treatment of persons based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap.
If you find interest in a particular property your real estate agent can request the seller disclosures and HOA rules.
As a buyer it is a good idea for you to also perform your own research.
- Worried about crime, check with local law enforcement.
- Wonder if there are sexual offenders in the area, check the state database.
- Really wonder about the schools, research the local schools and visit them.
- Wonder what the neighborhood is like after all the kids are home from school and people return from work, visit in the evening or weekend.
- Wonder how the neighbors like living in the area, ask them.
- Wonder how the homeowner association is doing, attend a meeting and ask for a financial disclosure or summary from the seller.
The information is available – use it!
This post was inspired by a recent article by Debe Maxwell, Realtor®, Charlotte, NC.