She found the listing on Craigslist although she recalled seeing a sign in front of it recently as well. She has been corresponding by email with the contact who was temporarily in Europe.
The property is currently listed for rent in the MLS system for $400 MORE than the email contact is telling her he will take.
I checked the tax records and found the listed owner had an out of town mailing address. The name on the tax records is different from the one on the email.
She is correct to be cautious.
In this case I gave her the office contact and name of the listing agent. She is going to call and investigate further. This may ultimately be completely legitimate but still it is worth a cautionary post here.
Several words of caution for those looking to rent a house or condo in Brevard County, Florida (or any other place)....
- Investigate the owner listed.
- Be cautious responding to Craigslist listings for real estate – especially with out of town or overseas owners.
- Be wary if the name does not match the tax records. Check legal filings for foreclosure proceedings.
- Be concerned if the rental price is substantially under the market.
- Use a reputable real estate company and Realtor®! Do not hesitate to ask a real estate agent for a photo identification when you initially meet them - especially if it is at a property.