Let's assume you were trying to sell this VW Bug. Would you even consider showing it to a prospective buyer with such a distraction?
Of course not!
The same thought process should apply when trying to sell your home.
I believe all properties benefit from staging - not just the big, fancy, high priced executive homes. Still, I am not advising anyone to re-decorate your home if you are planning to sell.
But I will provide this one rule of thumb....
If it does not enhance your home's characteristics
- change it (burned out lighting, 70s carpet)
- hide it (junk, personal items, valuables, medicines)
- move it (too much furniture)
- paint it (personal colors are great for you, but think neutral)or
- account for it in the price (if the buyer must replace or repair)!