I am most familiar with three of the 55+ communities located in central Brevard County: Heritage Isle (the largest and newest), Grand Isle and Indian River Colony Club (IRCC).
All three of these communities offer their residents many of the same things such as a gated community in a central location, convenient to shopping, restaurants, medical facilities, clubhouse with pool, etc.
But they are not the same. Some of the differences in the 55+ communities include...
- While all three are gated, two have manned entry gates 24 hours a day - IRCC and Heritage Isle.
- One has its own golf course - IRCC.
- One has primarily former military officers among ts owners - IRCC.
- One is older with mostly wood frame and stucco construction - IRCC.
- Monthly fees differ significantly from a few hundreds per month to upwards of $800 a month.
Why do the fees vary so much? Primarily because of two main reasons.
First, IRCC residents own all that lies within their gates including the club house, golf course, etc.
Secondly, IRCC offers maintenance free living while the others require the owners maintain their own homes except for landscaping and routine painting.
Here are a few articles on Viera's 55+ communities. Some were written a couple of years ago but the information is still relevant.