Still, if a home is listed for sale by a competent real estate agent, the reason will likely not be because the seller does not know what to do to make their home present well.
This week the number of poorly prepared West Melbourne, Florida homes for sale I saw was absolutely amazing. My estimate at least half of these homes for sale in West Melbourne, Florida lacked some of the basic requirements for preparing your home for sale.
- Dirty worn carpet (not slightly used). While it is not necessary to replace most carpeting, dirty with stains present is not a way to impress prospective buyers.
- Algae/mold on walkway right at front door. A little bleach or a rented power washer solves this very easily.
- Dirty house. At a minimum cleanliest should never be a distraction when you are selling your home.
- Clutter... and I mean way too much stuff in this house. The seller was present and joked their real estate agent said it was too cluttered. Listen to what your agent says, they have a reason and they are not joking either.
- Dark dungeons. So it was not really a dungeon but it was way too dark. The rule here is simple - light and bright sells homes.
- Highly personalized paint colors. If one is selling a home then make it neutral. A paint scheme that puts a different color on several walls in most rooms does not impress many and usually distracts. Think neutral and light colors. In this case, bland works.
- Items that do not convey. Which ones? We could only guess! If some of the lights will not go with the house, let someone know which ones. Better yet, Its best to remove any lights, fans or chandeliers that will not be sold with the house before it goes on the market.
- Collectibles. Even I got distracted in one house because of the collectible toy display. Can't remember which house but I do recall the toys!
I scheduled the appointments. I know the area and market. I know these houses meet my buyer's defined needs.
If I can't remember any good points about your house what do you think the sellers remember? If your agent asks me for feedback I will gladly provide the appropriate comments from above.
If you want to sell your home then address some of the distractions noted above.
The interesting thing is almost all of these cost little more than time and effort now but neglecting to address them can cost a lot of dollars when your home does sell.
Ready to sell your your Viera, Florida home? Call me at 321-693-3850 for a free market analysis.
Image courtesy of iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net