Selling your home requires specialized knowledge. Evaluating advice (solicited or not) can be a challenge.
Advice may come from all directions.
The know-it-all at work will likely be among the first to offer advice as he knows it all! "Uncle Fred" who knows everything will tell you the secrets. Your neighbor (you know the guy who has not spoken to you twice in the past year) will tell you how much you should get for it.
Multiple real estate agents will provide their take on the market, the price and how quickly they can get the job done (read this "hire me!").
If you are considering selling your Viera, Florida home here is some more unsolicited advice.
- Disclose issues (current or past) up front. Don't try to hide anything .
- Don't expect to get what you paid plus a return on your investment.
- Deferred maintenance will be costly in the end. Be proactive.
- In the end the market will set the price for your home. A ready willing buyer under no duress determines the ultimate selling price.
- Don't price high now and reduce later. This not a great starter strategy. Buyers will wonder why your home has been for sale for so long!
- Regardless of the direction of the real estate market buying high is not good strategy for buyers. Reason enough for not listing high.
- Decide what your real requirements (net proceeds) are and go from there. The market data may or may not support this number.
- Concentrate of the positives that separate your home from the others. If it is "just like the rest," make it stand out by preparation, presentation and pricing.
- Accommodate as many showing requests as possible. Not all prospective buyers have flexibility in their schedule if they are relocating from another area.
- Don't acquiesce to the real estate agent who gives you the highest recommended listing price.
- Don't rely solely on what you "hear" in the feedback, if received. After all, perception is reality.
Know the right questions to ask because selling your home requires specialized knowledge.
Gary L Waters ©
Florida Licensed Real Estate Broker
Waters Realty of Brevard, LLC
3270 Suntree Blvd #2218
Melbourne, FL 32940